community.pirate.com

Computer music teacher for disabled person in Brighton area?

Dear Community.

I’m a disabled wannabe composer living in central Brighton (opp. the Pavilion.) I’ve got a lovely notation program I use all the time, a few VSTs I more or less understand - and a whole pile more I’d love to understand a whole lot better (inc. posher DAWS which are a nightmare to me!)

Please, is there anyone out there willing to give a disabled guy a shot? I CAN learn this stuff if anyone’s prepared to walk me through it a few times. I’ve got lots of examples of stuff I’ve written - even sold the flukes that worked well, biggest ‘hit’ was making the short list for the BBC ‘In the Night Garden’ themes! But I can’t do it to order.

Can pay up to £30-ish an hour (on benefits) but if anyone charges less I can afford 2 hours a week. Once I understand it all I’ll be fine. If the candidate can set up Omnisphere it’ll be wonderful (never managed it!)

I write New Age music, but need to learn how to source pads/backing sounds. Can show you others’ tracks I want to emulate. (NOT rip off, just learn how they do their sounds!)

Yours hopefully

Chris.

Hey Chris hope you’re well! I’m based in Ireland but if you are stuck feel free to let me know and I can offer you some zoom classes (no payment needed), I have a few years experience producing, mixing and teaching guitar as a volunteer, so would be happy to lend a hand if this was an option that would suit you. All the best, Grainne

1 Like

Hi Chris, I’ve asked Ollie, our Brighton site tech to ask some local producers if they’d be up for this. What DAW are you keen on learning?

Dear Ollie.

It’s not DAW so much as techniques and finding sounds. I use a disability DAW I understand fine - it’s pure notation, each sound’s on its own track, you get 4 insert effects per track. But I’m a wannabe New Age composer so I need pad sounds - like Karunesh, or Yakuro, or any of the massive 6-hour-or-more relaxation tracks you get on YouTube - not that I’m wanting to do anything that long, just want those kinda sounds! - and being shown how to do layering properly - watched a ton of videos and I STILL suck big ones at it! They’re saying ‘You just do this…’ and theirs sounds gorgeous and yours sounds like strangled cats and you’re shouting “WHY!!!” at the screen.

And being walked through how to mix the end result. When to use what where and why. Again I’ve watched a ton of videos on mixing, carefully followed them - and mine suck and theirs don’t and I don’t know why. All I know is I could have a decent collection of New Age tunes if I just had the right sounds and could mix them a bit better. (They’re also called ‘worship pads’, if that helps. Except the worship pads you can download aren’t PLAYABLE. They’re just one unchanging 20 minute drone, they’re not PRESETS on anything. I wanna play tunes with the sounds! All the ones on VSTs people have told me to download sound like horror movie soundtracks, not the glorious YouTube sounds.)

As they’re TECHNIQUES, surely they’re DAW-independent? I mean the TECHNIQUE of driving a car is universal, surely, you don’t ask what make of car someone wants to drive, you just show them how to use the steering wheel, foot-pedals and gears, right? Basically, sounds aside, I’m’ trying to learn to drive from YouTube vids. Which aint easy. Especially when loads of them contradict eachother!

Yours hopefully

Chris.

Dear Grainne.

Thanks for your wonderful offer!

It’s not DAW so much as techniques and finding sounds. I use a disability DAW I understand fine - it’s pure notation, each sound’s on its own track, you get 4 insert effects per track. But I’m a wannabe New Age composer so I need pad sounds - like Karunesh, or Yakuro, or any of the massive 6-hour-or-more relaxation tracks you get on YouTube - not that I’m wanting to do anything that long, just want those kinda sounds! - and being shown how to do layering properly - watched a ton of videos and I STILL suck big ones at it! They’re saying ‘You just do this…’ and theirs sounds gorgeous and yours sounds like strangled cats and you’re shouting “WHY!!!” at the screen.

And being walked through how to mix the end result. When to use what where and why. Again I’ve watched a ton of videos on mixing, carefully followed them - and mine suck and theirs don’t and I don’t know why. All I know is I could have a decent collection of New Age tunes if I just had the right sounds and could mix them a bit better. (They’re also called ‘worship pads’, if that helps. Except the worship pads you can download aren’t PLAYABLE. They’re just one unchanging 20 minute drone, they’re not PRESETS on anything. I wanna play tunes with the sounds! All the ones on VSTs people have told me to download sound like horror movie soundtracks, not the glorious YouTube sounds.)

As they’re TECHNIQUES, surely they’re DAW-independent? I mean the TECHNIQUE of driving a car is universal, surely, you don’t ask what make of car someone wants to drive, you just show them how to use the steering wheel, foot-pedals and gears, right? Basically, sounds aside, I’m’ trying to learn to drive from YouTube vids. Which aint easy. Especially when loads of them contradict eachother!

I can do Zoom or Discord but I’ll have to get a better camera if you want to see my disabled face and I’m better off typing than talking cos I’ve got a pretty bad stammer on some kinds of words at times - not always, but it sure has its moments! Can type really fast though. And I’ll happily send you some badly-mixed tracks to laugh at - I don’t put them up anywhere because I KNOW how bad they sound, mixwise, it’s just I don’t know what to do about it. But I’ll send them to you for sure.

Yours hopefully

Chris.