community.pirate.com

Harpsichord intro/build up sketch thingymajig

Hi guys,

It’s been absolutely ages since I found the time to make any music.
But I’ve been inspired by hearing everybody’s WIPs here to dust off the DAWs.

My ultimate struggle when it comes to music is to just tinker without actually completing things. Here’s a sketch of something I’ve started on, but already I’m just tinkering with the intro instead of working on the main section! I’ll leave it and then come back and will have a different idea of where to take it. Not sure why I went with 150bpm either as I’ve never ventured down that tempo territory before either…

Anyways, thoughts and feedback welcome :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Welcome to Community, @Phonografik! Love that you’ve been inspired to dust off some of your old material.

This is an interesting sketch and definitely feels like you could take it to some intriguing conceptual places. The drop towards the end was unexpected and made me eager to hear which direction you were taking it in.

I suffer from a similar issue in terms of starting a lot of projects but finding it difficult to follow through with a final idea. You can easily get stuck in a bad habit of creating interesting loops without considering the larger piece you’re trying to create. @faisal_pirate shared some really interesting insight around how he structures his approach to composing - worth having a quick read! Personally, I’ve found that trying to complete a song before I start recording it is the best way for me to finish something. Otherwise I get stuck in an endless sea of DAW possibilities! Appreciate this isn’t always possible though as a lot of producers write and produce at the same time.

Appreciate this is a sketch so this feedback might be redundant, but I’d see what you can do to make the harpsichord sound a bit more interesting - have a play around with layering other instruments on top (covering the same melody). I often find this can lead to some really interesting sounds. At the moment, it sounds a little dry and out-of-the-box to my ears. Appreciate it’s a sketch though so I’m sure this isn’t necessarily its final form.

Anyway, super interested to hear where you take this one. Would love to hear some of your other sketches if you have anything else to share!

1 Like

Sounds really nice! The tone of the Harpsichord can get a little tiring as it repeats - you could try andding some subtle modulation to stop the ear from getting too used to the sound of it, especially for the first repeats where it’s totally on it’s own. Love the drop, it suddenly goes to a very cool place that I’d love to hear more of!