community.pirate.com

Looking for advice on a track I'm not too happy with

Hi all, i feel like this one is missing the s a u c e, can i get a hand?

Liking the arpeggiated synth line…might be a bit out of left-field but I’d love to hear a Danny Carey (Tool) style drum track over this. and some clever lead guitar riffage doing a counterpoint to the main line matching what the drums play, beefed up by some palm muted power chords…only listening on laptop speakers here at the moment but will give it a good blast when I’m in front of some studio speakers

However after taking a quick scan of other tracks on your playlist that’s probably a rediculous suggestion LoL…will have a proper listen later and try to get back with some ideas more in keeping with what you’ve already constructed on the other tunes!

Thanks a lot lad! the intent for the ep/album is for it to be kind of like background music, easy listening kind of thing. obviously with some spice here and there otherwise it would be dreary to produce. on this one in particular i was going for a 80’s synthpop kind of feeling i think it comes across in there. i think you might be right in saying that the drums could do with changing, fills etc. cheers for the feedback!

Vibey! First thing that comes to mind for me to sauce it up is to make that syncopated distorted arpeggiated lead more of a ‘moment’ instead of it featuring throughout the track.
I guess in my mind its like the chorus? First coming in around that 28 mark and sticking around for 8 bars before dropping it and letting the more chill synthwave soundscape take over and build back up to having that moment again towards the second half of the track.
I think that would make it a lot more memorable and create anticipation for the contrast it provides as opposed to fighting for my attention for the duration with the rest of the sound selection. Gonna give the rest of your stuff a spin!

2 Likes

I like this idea a lot, I might have to give it a crack! Much appreciated - let me know what you think of the rest :+1:

1 Like

There’s a few moments that feel like they’re implying a buildup, but you don’t really capitalise on it by paying it off very much, like 0:25 or 1:35 - something like a slightly verby cymbal hit with a long tail might give the re-entry a bit more punch!

I love the shift from groups of 3 to groups of 4 around 0:45, it feels like a cool gear-change, but it feels like the rest of the track doesn’t change that much to show it off as a different section. Maybe worth swapping out some instrument sounds for that section so it’s got a slightly different feel to the first section?

Love that chewy bass at about 1:30!

I love the arpeggiated synth, but I think that other synth line is a bit too loud. I think it dominates the track a bit too much, it’s a bit too trumpet-y. I would try to stealth it up a little bit, make it more implied. I would probably move it down an octave and coat it in some reverb and a little delay, so it has a more omnipresent feeling.

And I think that way, you would also set it up for nice culmination if you would then take those effects off on the transition.

Anyway, hope it helps!

1 Like