community.pirate.com

Recording live mixes?

Hi all,

im using Pirate Norwich quite a bit and love it,
i want to buy a digital recorder to record my DJ mixes and have rented a zoom H6 from a friend and its good but i dont wanna lay out almost £300,

what do you guys use ?

i was recording via the record out rca to the zoom line in and got decent results,
I just dont want to be lugging my laptop about.

cheers

1 Like

Hey mate!

I recently discovered that there’s actually a Pioneer DJM app that allows you to plug your phone into the usb aux out of the mixer and record your mixes that way! It’s something like £10 on the app store for iphone, i’m pretty certain it’s on android too?

LMK how you get on and if that doesn’t work for you drop another message in this thread and i can think of potential other solutions :sunglasses:

Cheers,
Thomas

1 Like

Cheers Thomas,

its not available anymore, which is a shame,
I also use my phone to livestream as Pirate Norwich doesnt have the ability to at the moment, so my usb/power is already connected

If you can’t use the DJM-REC app you’ll have to use an audio interface to record your mixes clearly.

I use the Rec Out port in the mixer to the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 which connects to your laptop via usb, then open Ableton (or any audio recorder software) to record the set. A bit of a lengthy set up, but you’ll have a nice recording at the end of it

I have Djay Pro 2 which allows you to mix via your laptop, or connect external decks. The software is about £50 and you can use tidal, spotify, itunes, deezer, soundcloud to mix tracks with.

thanks for all of the replies, im trying to keep it laptop free as much as possible,

ive found a tascam DR-05X recorder is a decent thing to have at only around £70.

Bump for this topic - keen to hear how more people record their sets.

Did you end up getting the Tascam? If so, how are you finding it? Thx

I youse a laptop and from the record output on the mixer to audio jack input into laptop then there are various software,s you can youse, etc Audacity, https://youtu.be/yzJ2VyYkmaA

Hey guys!

I’m glad Terry managed to find an affordable recorder for his sets. That would be the only reliable laptop-free option in my opinion.
Remember to try using the Master 2 output port instead of Rec Out, since the audio quality is meant to be the same if not better (due to less wear).

Screenshot 2021-11-17 at 11.01.17

I would advise taking a look at this link too - there are 2 other laptop-dependant alternatives but it also shows a phone solution too. This one involves using a phone cable which includes an attenuator and a mic adaptor. I haven’t personally tried this last option but it could be helpful to some of us!

Cheers,
Nico

2 Likes

i ended up with a Zoom h6 which is a great piece of kit,

the quality is fantastic the only downside is that it takes XLR but i guess this gives you better quality, so you need XLR to RCA for it to work. it took a little fiddling about with the levels but once you get going your set.

I hope this helps,

cheers

1 Like

I expect the Zoom H6 is amazing - I’m a drummer, but I’ve been bootlegging gigs on my Zoom H2 for years! It’s got a 3.5mm jack in, so you can take a desk (or DJM!) feed easily enough via a phono to minijack. They’re relatively inexpensive, so might be worth checking out!

1 Like