community.pirate.com

How's your Spotify wrapped looking?

I’ve had a terrible year for new music. I think with everything that’s been happening, I’ve been digging into the musical equivalent of comfort food.

I did absolute rinse the new Little Simz record though, and the new Fleet Foxes got a good look in.

Did you discover any new music this year you can share? I’m keen to get back on the new music train!

1 Like

Apparently, the genre I listened to most this year was “Chamber Psych”, which is a new one to me but sounds oddly appropriate for 2020.

2 Likes

I got that too! No idea what it is.

Mine was looking quite alright, but my hours were quite low as I’ve just been listening to Apple Music really (Soulection to be specific) and just finding new music there. On Spotify though, been listening to a lot of Smino, Ravyn Lenae and Jayla Darden really

1 Like

Ravyn Lenae! What a vibe - she’s definitely one to watch. Think Sticky and The Night Song are my faves.

In my top 5 was KeiyaA with her debut “Forever, Ya Girl”. It was all self produced, written, recorded and mastered by herself. Think her production technique is super interesting, she’s another one to watch too.

1 Like

Did you know you can search Spotify by genre, if you type into their search box:

genre:“Chamber Psych”

you’ll find which artists/labels used this sub-genre to describe their tracks :nerd_face:

I’m probably pretty unusual for listening to 1172 new artists this year, which accounts for 44% of the artists I listened to. This excludes the vinyl only releases I listen to on Discogs, and Bandcamp artists - I like to keep it fresh :seedling: Most listened to track was Four Tet - Baby, which gives away my number one genre “Electronica”.

1 Like

I did not know that! Gave it a look and Chamber Psych is a pretty loose collection of artists. Any suggestions on the defining characteristic that draws Caribou, Squid, and Doves together - other than that they are all named after animals?!