community.pirate.com

Jungle mixing tips

hey guys i have been DJ for about 2 years now normally just house and garage and break kind of stuff and i pretty decent at that now but recently i have been getting into dnb and jungle. but i am struggling on how to best mix jungle it is quite hard. i think its bc im used to the simplicity of house. i can count the bars and that but its more like knowing when to bring in a new song. it always just sounds so silly. occasionally ill do a good mix but i reckon its just luck most of the time. does anyone have any tips on how best to mix junglle? thanks

Mate biggest advice i can give when mixing dnb/jungle is KNOW YOUR TRACKS. you have to know them back to front. like knowing when a sick break comes in there, or when the vocals come in there etc. Keep practicing man and good luck! can’t wait to hear when you’ve got a decent mix :slight_smile:

I’ve been mixing drums since I started mixing and dnb is relatively easy compared to jungle. Its more difficult to beatmatch jungle due to its highs being quite full. However, any dnb or jungle I’ve come across almost always drops at either 32 , 48 or 64 bars (at 174bpm) and is usually in 16 bar sections. Not sure if this helps but have fun mixing dnb and jungle, the higher tempo allows for some fun quick mixing between tracks.

1 Like

I’d say jungle is pretty similar to the genres that you usually mix in terms of structure - most will have an intro building towards a ‘drop’, then a breakdown before a second drop. As @Joe_Obrien_98 mentioned, you’ll have an easier time of it if you know when these events throughout the track will occur. Then you could either line up the two drops from each tune to hit at the same time, or mix in the next tune when the first tune has a natural pause/breakdown to keep the mix flowing, etc. Depends on your mixing style! Out of sync breaks can sound like a complete mess but it’s a good challenge to get stuck into, it’ll get easier with practice for sure. best of luck mate!

1 Like

Maybe try starting simple. Loop a 4 or 8 bar of the incoming track (making sure you have all EQs in there) that way you won’t be racing against time, get that beat-matched. Keep your incoming EQs: HI 11 o clock, MID 9 o clock, LOW 7 o clock (knocked out). After the main build, on the drop either bring in your incoming volume at 10 straight away or slowly increase volume (depends on incoming track - how lively the HIs are) then on the next mini-breakdown (normally 64 bars after a drop), when the drop comes swap out the HI, so incoming at 12 o clock, outgoing at 9 o clock. Then slowly swap over your MIDs ready for the next step > on the next mini-break down swap the lows completely on the drop. As the guys mention above most genres follow a similar structure, so use the mini-breakdowns to your advantage. How I normally go about it. Once more confident don’t use a loop, just set a cue point and know when the next change or drop is coming so you can align a build and drop the outgoing/incoming track. Hope that helps but would love some different techniques anyone might have.

Waveform is from “Elysian Fields (Tim Reaper Remix]” - Special Request
(https://www.beatport.com/track/elysian-fields/14756881)

1 Like

@Joe_Obrien_98 @Pattio @MidnightManoeuvres @Hisai thank you so much my man. i used all these tips for a mix tonight and it helped out so much and it all flowed very well so thank you so much. i spent about 2 weeks going through all my tunes making the cue points and the loops so when i went in today i knew when each thing was coming. Definitely used loops and will be usinig a loop for a while i bet! but once more confident i hope to now have to.

one thing i noticed was listening to the snares and matching them more for jungle

thanks again fellas

2 Likes

yes this did help the 16 bar section bit. i tended to loop 16 bars more so thank you for this

Haha nice one mate. Got a mix you can share?!! Would love to hear it