community.pirate.com

Lil bit of Synthwave

Hey all, I’ve tried my hand at some proper synthwave and I think it’s turned out well but now it’s time for mixing etc, any thoughts on what needs taking out/putting in?

And just your thoughts on the track would be much appreciated c:

Love that, especially the very grimy sounding pitch warbly synths! It feels quite busy - if you’ve not sat down to mix it yet then disregard since that’ll probably solve it, but you might want to make sure everything’s got it’s own designated frequency bands without spilling too much into other channels, and/ or some sidechain compression to keep things from fighting, ie: the synth with the sharp attack cutting through the pad around 2:40 or so

Cheers for that dude, yeah this is unmixed. I agree that some things fight/get lost in there. To tell you the truth compression has always been what I struggle with but we’ll see

If you struggle with compression, crank it all the way up to a ridiculous level so you can clearly hear it and then try dialing it back from there - you should be careful of not leaving it on a higher setting than you’d want, but once you can hear the really obvious, irritating “pumping” effect of overcranked compression, you can dial it back more easily. It absolutely takes time though, way harder than EQ to get a feel for IMO

There’s a thousand good videos on Compression, but this one just turned up on my feed this morning and is pretty good! I swear by Ben Levin’s channel, he’s a theory legend!

Nice one dude! I’ll take a look