community.pirate.com

Looking for some arrangement / instrumentation advice on this one

Hey all - Dan from Pirate here. This is a new track I’ve been working on. It’s a bit different to the usual sort of stuff I do in that it’s slightly more sparse and less reverb heavy.

Very early stages still and I’ve not finished the final section, but I’m struggling with how to build a bit of momentum into the second verse and also the transition from second verse to outro doesn’t feel quite right. It’s all feeling a little disjointed but I think potentially some additional instrumentation will help (just not sure what approach to take!) Any thoughts?

4 Likes

Hey Dan - enjoyed this! I think you’re right about losing a bit of momentum into the second verse. Feels like it really starts to build to something after the guitar solo but then goes back to a similar, sparse arrangement from the first verse. I’d say you could start to add some synth washes here (weirdly I think some swelling, layered sax or something could be cool), and get some palm muted guitar picking on the go (similar to Radiohead’s Morning Mr. Magpie).

Interested to hear where you take this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cheers @Susie_B! Hadn’t considered synth in that second verse but not a bad shout - will definitely give it a crack. Love the RH reference - gave it a spin to refresh my memory and think something like that could work wonders. Cheers again!

Will upload where I get to. If anyone else has any thought hit me up!

I think some heavy soaring guitars just after the lyrics “and that’s when it Hit me” going into the chorus “I’m at an influencers house”…you know My Bl**dy Valentine style :wink: or even Pixies!

Let the vocals get lost a bit in a sea of swimming reverby, tremelo’d chords, pure shoegaze!

Oh and introduce a loud acoustic drum track for the chorus with a big hit into the chorus and EQ/compress/saturate it like a nice big open sound a la Pixies

The track definitely feels like it needs really heavy sections so that they can drop down to just the bass, programmed drums and vocals for the verses…

Like the BV work on the end

Great potential in this track for sure

I know how I’d produce it anyway and my reference points would be Pixies and My Bl**dy Valentine…I’ve said that already haven’t I? :wink:

1 Like

Hey man,

I really like this. I think there’s a ton of potential here. In my opinion the track could use something more lively and funky on the downbeats. I hate to be the first guy to say more cowbell, but I think the song would really benefit from something like that. Something that mimics a clicktrack to create a counter rhythm.

I would definitely put some of the guitar tracks at the beginning and then when it goes into verse, I would make it a spacey chord not just riffing. Kind of like the verse in “Young Folks”. Also I think more drum fills could help the transitions.

Hope this helps,
Jonas

Hey @JonasJ - some wicked advice here thanks. Might follow up on some of it with you tomorrow. Particularly the cowbell suggestion - I’ve been feeling like the percussion is missing something so this could be it.

Going to have a listen to Young Folks too - think I know what you mean but keen to refresh my memory.

Thanks again!

Oh sorry, I meant the chorus in “Young Folks” not the verse. The chorus has that really modified guitar. Anyway, I’d love to hear what you come up with!

Like that track mate, I think its out of my depths feedback wise as i make house/ garage tunes but i love the space in the track! I think the cowbell would be a great shout though as JonasJ mentioned.

Cheers @COINZY I’m definitely going to have a crack at adding a bit of cowbell into the mix - interested to hear what it’ll do to the arrangement.

1 Like

lovin this track, i think everyone has gave some great tips here and id be in agreement with maybe adding some synthy washes or maybe synth stabby stuff??? young folks and pixies are great references, really like the vibe going on here

This is a good song in the making, I enjoyed it. I think you should start the build on chorus 2 and continue. If it were my song, I would track left and right acoustic guitars strumming on the hi hat pattern. And a rhythm electric guitar to add some low end grit too. I think it needs a building solo instrument to the end so a lead guitar part or even a piano.
I also find there are too many places where the current electric guitars get choked off for my taste, but all of that is just my opinion.

1 Like

Cheers for the feedback @IV47309628! I actually did a bit more work on this track over the holiday break and starting to feel happier with it. Still needs a bit more dynamism in the outro but let me know what you think! I hear you on the guitar choking, it’s actually intentional in this case as I’m trying to do that Talking Heads-esque thing, but perhaps it’s not coming across.

It’s insane how much that cowbell gives it that extra 5% of groove - if you took it out now you’d immediately notice something was missing wouldn’t you? Really like the rest of it too.

2 Likes

Agreed! That was a great tip from @JonasJ :raised_hands:

Nice to see how this track is coming along… picking up big talking heads vibes with the addition of those synths, gonna be a 2022 summer banger this one

1 Like

Really love the track and I think it has great potential! The concept of being at an influencers house is really good and, lyrically, I think you’ve hit the nail on the head.

I totally agree with the addition of the cowbell- it really adds some extra rhythm to the track. The Talking Heads-esque guitar in the breakdown works perfectly too.

For me, the addition of the synth after the guitar breakdown seems to overpower the vocal. Personally I think the sparseness and simplicity of the first verse lends itself to the meandering musings of the vocal.

If you wanted to add an extra element to the second verse for a bit more development, a choppy/off beat guitar stab could work.

Bit of a Krautrock vibe, something like one of these:

Faust- The Sad Skinhead

Baxter Dury- Isabel

Really looking forward to hearing the finished track!!!

x