community.pirate.com

Mastering tips for using stock plugins?

My tunes always show that they peak at 0db after mastering on FL Studio but when I load them into my dj software they always sound much quieter than other songs when I play them in mixes. Any help would be much appreciated
cheers

1 Like

Mastering is Art and Science mixed together. It takes years to truely master it and to some people it’s still a bit of a black art.

There are many ways to master a song and each of them will produce different results. Using a combination of EQ, compression and limiting will get you where you want to go (eventually) but I would never trust ‘out of the box’ mastering solutions.

You’re better off getting your tracks to a qualified mastering engineer to really hear your mixes come to life…but once again your master will only be as good as your mixes so if your mixes fall down in certain areas mastering invariably won’t be able to solve that.

If you’re looking for cheap affordable A.I. mastering solutions rather then going to a mastering engineer there are a few online.

The ones that spring to mind are

and

Cloudbounce was part of the Abbey Road company incubator and if you can’t afford a good mastering engineer at the moment is a good alternative to get your tracks some of the way there.

Also it can help you with your mixing if you sign up for the unlimited package as you can master and then tweak your mix to your hearts content! I’ve used it myself and the results were actually quite surprising but in the end I usually save up my money and go to Metropolis in London or Turtletone Studios in New York. Both of which have online mastering discounts and deliver release ready masters to your specifications so long as your mixes are all there so to speak. Hope that helps

1 Like

thank you man, really appreciate the reply! will deffo look into some of this stuff later tonight when i start working on some tunes.

No problem. By the way Cloudbounce currently have an offer of $59 for 1 year unlimited masters usually $238 per year (only 17 slots left) here’s the link

1 Like

There’s a difference between actual loudness shown by your meters and perceived loudness. The human ear is a complex thing, here’s an article that can bring you up to speed and give you jump off points to go deeper.

1 Like

Hi @Toura, welcome to Community! That’s a strange one as I’m not entirely sure why they would sound quieter. It could just be down to the professional mastering of other tracks boosts levels in a way that makes them sound fuller (not necessarily louder).

Would love to hear some of your tunes if you’ve got any to share?

Hi @Toura, did you ever get this loudness problem resolved? If not, I might be able to help you achieve what you’re looking for. I’ve been mastering on and off for the last 10 years, and would like the opportunity to try and help you out. If you’re interested let me know at your earliest convenience. No charge… so nothing to lose.