community.pirate.com

Music notation software

Looking for Help to convert wav.files of music scores to MIDI and publish tracks with real instruments

Mainly Percussion scores here are some links to samples GUINEA SWING
US PLUS 5

There’s no easy way to convert recorded music to MIDI unfortunately - there are some apps that try, but they’re always spotty at best. Nothing beats transcribing things yourself to develop your ear - or else paying a professional transcriptionist.

If you want real instruments, then sheet music is an excellent way to go, because a human player who can read the part and know exactly what to play will add in whole worlds of detail that’d take literally years to remake in MIDI - but for percussion, you might find you can cut corners with realistic virtual instrument libraries and effective MIDI programming in a way that you really can’t with something like violin or flute. It really depends on what style you’re working in and what you’re planning for the parts.

Having said all that, I’m a professional transcriptionist, so if you need a hand, let me know and we can work something out!

Hey Diane_Pirate thanks for your reply

Just to clarify, I have the scores, the music is already in notation just need realistic instrument sounds ! I wrote a few pieces in Musescore but the sounds are quite poor and thin.

Finding human players to sight read is not easy at the moment, so was wondering if any other way to convert wav files and notation software through technology.

Having said all that, more ear training skills would be useful to me, would you be able to help with this ?

thanks
Sen

Hey Diane_Pirate thanks for your reply

Just to clarify, I have the scores, the music is already in notation just need realistic instrument sounds ! I wrote a few pieces in Musescore but the sounds are quite poor and thin.

Finding human players to sight read is not easy at the moment ! so was wondering if any other way to convert wav files and notation software through technology.

Having said all that, more ear training skills would be useful to me, would you be able to help with this ?

thanks
Sen

Hi - not sure if this helps, but i clicked on your musescore link and the download button already provides an option to download to midi.

If you want to convert wav to midi this can be done - if you have ableton it has an inbuilt function to do this - it will need tweaking by hand afterwards as it’s not perfect:

1 Like

Ah yeah, I assume Musescore just uses generic MIDI soundfonts, or else something very plain to give the jist of it for the purpose of without really sounding very realistic… Or, well, nice!

In that case, you’ll want to look into acquiring some slightly nicer software instruments, paid or free - there’s a lot of great freeware VST instruments out there (and ironically Pirate probably shouldn’t encourage piracy haha!).

Then, you can then set up the VST instruments in a DAW, import your MIDI, and tweak to make it sound more realistic using timing, velocity, etc. Once it’s set up, you can then render it as a wav file. It sounds complicated when you write it all out, but it’s not too bad once you’re used to it!

As far as ear training, drop me a message and I’ll send you some resources over! Your ears are the tool you use to translate ideas from your head into the real world, so you can never get enough ear training!

1 Like