community.pirate.com

New to production? Ask us anything

Are you new to production and finding it a bit overwhelming? Feel free to drop a question into this thread and one of our expert site techs, producers or engineers can help.

There’s no “wrong” question - don’t be afraid to ask something you think is silly.

1 Like

Absolutely!!! asking silly questions is how I learned most of what I know and I’m still probably asking stupid questions now to some people (looking your way @E_Z_Pirate ) :smiley:

Alright, hope you are all well,

Im currently using Logic and already have some basic vocal presets already set up for rap music. But Im always wanting to expand and have different options for the music I am making. Could anyone suggest anything which might advance the outcome of the song?

Hey @KnockDownGinger - good question. I haven’t really worked with hip hop before but I know there’s a few producers at Pirate that I can speak with tomorrow to help you out.

Do you have any examples of what you’re working on? That might help them give you a few pointers!

SO many different ways to treat a rap vocal, depends on the rapper, the tune, the tempo, the dynamics so many factors and variables to consider.

However I like to start with a gate and get the vocals nicely tightened up, then I’ll eq with a pultec EQP1a. For the bass end of the vocal I’ll boost at 60hz by 1 or 2 notches and then attenuate until I’m happy with the bass frequency response.

Then for the mids on a broad enough bandwidth say 6 or 7 I’ll boost either the 3K or 5K frequencies (depending on the vocalist) by 1 or 2 notches and attenuate the 10K region if needed (although I tend to like to leave that alone at this stage).

I’ll then compress using an LA2A with about 2 db of gain reduction to tame the peaky transients.

After that I’ll eq again also with another pultec to bring back in the frequencies compression might have muddied up usually boosting the 8K or 10 K by about 2 notches and then I’ll add another compressor, probably an 1176…this is where it gets fun…

If I want the vocal to really pump I’ll look for a fast attack and fast release on a 4:1 ratio reducing the gain anywhere from -2db to up to -8db to slam it. Then EQ again with a nice parametric EQ to get the final tone I want on the vocals.

To finish off I’ll often use a touch of tape delay, with a tiny bit of feedback as an aux timed at half the tempo of the track (kinda acting like a doubler), turn up the delay fader until you can hear the delay then back it off by 5db so it will be barely audible in the mix, but it does something that just makes the vocals pop out a bit more.

All that being said I have found myself with great rappers nearly not touching anything but the fader and a touch of EQ their delivery has been that good!

Maybe as @Dan_Pirate suggested post something you’re looking for advice on vocals wise in the “feedback category” so some producers can chime in with what they might do, which could give you some ideas to expand your options.

2 Likes

Cheers Gareth, I’ll have a go with the things you suggested, thank you.

Ill do what you and Dan suggested and post a WIP when I get the time.

1 Like

Looking forward to hearing what you’re working on!

Starting with a preset that can be a great starting point, but remember every rapper’s timbre is different. With the production stage of an arrangement getting the take in correctly is paramount. Is the mic choice correct? Is the placement correct? is the rapper too close or too far away from the mic? You can only get so far polishing a recording that isn’t great so bear these things in mind before hitting record on your DAW.

3 Likes

I have a silly question, so I record vocals through a mic + interface and then mess around with them in Audacity (standard version, no extra plugins). I have scoured Youtube for tips and every video is different. I’m useless with this type of stuff but eager to learn from producers if there’s a failsafe set of things / presets I can to apply any vocal line to make it sound as good as it can.

I totally appreciate that every voice is different and depends on how you’re singing / rapping for that tune, but I’m literally at the level of Vocal Production 101 here, are there any standard tips that I could theoretically apply to all vocal lines, e.g. compression, a good EQ preset, etc to ensure that the foundation vocal line sounds as good as it can?