community.pirate.com

Vocal Recording - Badass Preset Tips

Vocalist with novice production skillz here, that wants to record and refine decent sounding vocals.

Can anyone who knows a thing or two about recording vocals recommend a good, standard process I could stick to to get a good solid sound please? Or even a good Youtube video that demonstrates this pretty well (preferably on Audacity)

So like with raw vocal line, step 1: do this to the EQ, step 2: add a little bit of echo, step 3: normalise, etc etc

Obvs I appreciate everyone’s voice is different and there may be slightly different treatments depending on your tone, or the tone of the backing track. But if there’s a like a failsafe set of presets that you as a producer would always apply to any vocal, a set of presets that could get me to a position where the vocal line is clean, and nice to listen to, that would be amazing.

Hope that makes sense. I use Audacity currently but I’m willing to branch out into other systems. Cheers muchly

1 Like

I reckon @Pirate_Gareth will have some stellar advice for you on this one!

1 Like

Excellent, cheers very much!

Hi Brighty…I posted this before in response to someone else looking for good vocal presets for rap, so will paste that here again for you later in this message.

However before you even touch any EQ dynamics or effects the most important part is ensuring that your vocals are recorded well.

Make sure that the room you are in is not too “lively” i.e there isn’t lots of ambient reverb. If there is look at treating the room or at the very least getting a mic baffle/isolation shield.

This is particularly important if using a condenser mic as it will pick up everything in the room and your vocal can end up sounding really roomy. If you’re using Pirate to record your vocals this won’t be a problem :wink:

Obviously the choice of mic has a huge impact on vocal sound as well. So if you have the luxury of having access to a few mics play around with them and see which one works best on your voice.

For example I have access to a load of mics some vintage, some new., some very expensive but have often found myself reaching for an SM58 on some vocals as it works really well.

Next thing to consider is the mic pre amp to make sure you’re getting as good a signal as you can from the mic to your DAW…

Then there’s the distance you are from the microphone when recording and the volume you are singing at/rapping at…try different variations of these on the track you are working on to find which works best for the song. Getting the right mic technique for a particular track can save you a lot of time trying to get EQ and compression correct down the line.

Ok so as far as good vocal presets…(and this is the part I’ll be pasting from another post). I’m afraid to say there aren’t any as every vocal line is different and there are so many different ways to treat a rap vocal, depends on the rapper, the tune, the tempo, the dynamics so many factors and variables to consider.

However here’s a workflow I use to get me started on vocals, the plugins I reach for and some “typical” presets I might start off with.

First I like to start with a gate and get the vocals nicely tightened up, then I’ll eq with a pultec EQP1a. For the bass end of the vocal I’ll boost at 60hz by 1 or 2 notches and then attenuate until I’m happy with the bass frequency response.

Then for the mids on a broad enough bandwidth say 6 or 7 I’ll boost either the 3K or 5K frequencies (depending on the vocalist) by 1 or 2 notches and attenuate the 10K region if needed (although I tend to like to leave that alone at this stage).

I’ll then compress using a Teletronix LA2A with about 2 db of gain reduction to tame the peaky transients.

After that I’ll eq again also with another pultec to bring back in the frequencies compression might have muddied up usually boosting the 8K or 10 K by about 2 notches and then I’ll add another compressor, probably a urie 1176…this is where it gets fun…

If I want the vocal to really pump I’ll look for a fast attack and fast release on a 4:1 ratio reducing the gain anywhere from -2db to up to -8db to slam it. Then EQ again with a nice parametric EQ to get the final tone I want on the vocals.

To finish off I’ll often use a touch of tape delay, with a tiny bit of feedback as an aux timed at half the tempo of the track (kinda acting like a doubler), turn up the delay fader until you can hear the delay then back it off by 5db so it will be barely audible in the mix, but it does something that just makes the vocals pop out a bit more.

All that being said I have found myself with great rappers nearly not touching anything but the fader and a touch of EQ their delivery has been that good! Remember to trust your ears and that less is more. Try broad movements so if you’re tempted to boost an EQ frequency range go big on it i.e turn up that frequency range until it’s really noticeable and then back up by about halve the db.

Anyway hope all of that is of some use to you.

But I’ll leave you with the most important part of any great sounding vocal that doesn’t require any engineering and that’s simply put…The performance…get this right and everything is easy!

3 Likes

Thank you @Pirate_Gareth that’s brilliant, exactly what I needed and thanks very much for taking the time. I was actually going to buy a condenser mic. I have a Rode M1 which I believe is not dissimilar to an SM58, and actually the quality from that through the interface is surprisingly good.

1 Like

You’re welcome. I have actually used a 58 on quite a lot of rappers as it’s got a nice punchy presence to it.

Also a mic I have used is a vintage EV 635A dynamic omni directional mic (which is a great tool to have in your arsenal).

It shares similar characteristics to it’s cousin the RE15 mic apart from it’s polar pattern being omni rather then cardiod but the beauty about this mic is that it only really picks up what is close to it’s capsule even though it is an omni mic.

It was used a lot in outside news broadcasting because of this as it doesn’t pick up ambient noise that much at all. The great thing in this regard is that since it has a 4 stage pop filter you can use it to record vocals singing quite close to the capsule.

As such you can even record vocals without headphones! This can give great results in tuning and dynamics as I have found that some singers sing/rap better without headphones on. Just don’t have your monitors up too loud and you can get great results as the mic almost cancels out the room characteristics.

The good news is you can still pick them up on ebay relatively cheaply around $100 -$150. Which is worth the punt if it turns out to work really well on your vocals!

2 Likes

Fantastic thanks that’s great advice! Yeah the ability to record without headphones would be really cool, I definitely perform better the better I hear myself in some monitors. Going to look into that EV 635A that sounds like a winner. I’m looking at potentially a Rode NT1-A for the condenser, dunno if that’s one you’re aware of

Haven’t used Rode mics myself so can’t comment on how good/bad they are but depending on your budget there are some good clone mics of classic condensers like C12’s U47’s and U87’s being produced by DIY enthusiasts that are worth looking into. Or if you’re handy with a soldering iron worth making yourself as there are kits available (kinda like adult lego!) Give me an idea of your budget and I’ll see if I can recommend something for you.

1 Like

No my wife is the DIY expert, my realm is the kitchen, I’m useless at that stuff! Same goes for the DAW I’m looking into properly learning how to use Ableton, cos I’d like to be more competent on the production side but learning more about how to treat vocals properly is a good place to start. For a condenser I’d say I’d be happy spending between £80 - £150. TBH it’s good to hear from someone that knows what they’re talking about that you can actually get a great result off the bat by being a bit smart about the mics you use and how you position yourself etc

1 Like

Its a low budget for a really good condenser but for around that price these mics have gotten reasonably good shout outs.

Warm Audio WA-47 JR (approx £193 on ebay but you may get a better deal for black friday somewhere)

MXL V67 (normally can pick these up for around £80-£100)

Lauten LA220 (usually around £140-£160)

Audio Technica AT4040 (around £155)

With Black Friday deals on though you might get something a lot better if you can stretch your budget up to £250-£300

1 Like

Understood nice one mate