community.pirate.com

WIP of a liquid drum & bass tune

Hey all,

I’ve been sat on this for ages and really want to finish it, even if I do nothing with it. Just have absolutely no idea where to go with variations anymore on this, have hit a complete block.

Wanted to make the breakdown and fill it out properly before I copied the second drop over (hence the kinda random ending atm), but I also wanted to make some variations on that, but just unsure what to do.

Any advice on variations or anything else would be hugely appreciated!

4 Likes

Really like the overall vibe on this one @Huell_DNB. To my ears, I feel like I wanted to hear a melody out front in the second half to really elevate it - this might also help you naturally progress the song. I like the chord structure you’ve adopted - it’s simple but effective - and I think it’d lend itself well to a soaring synth melody winding its way around the chords. I could imagine this building to a moment where the drums completely drop out and you’re left with something pretty grand and sweeping, only to have the drums kick back in and strip it all back again. Not sure if that makes sense but I can hear it in my head!

If it helps I can try to do a dodgy recording on my phone tomorrow to show you what sort of melody I mean :joy:.

Interested to hear where you might take it!

1 Like

Thanks! Will have a go with the sweep, haha that’d be helpful for a demo of the melody!

I like the space you’ve left in this track and don’t feel it needs to much to fill it out but like @Dan_Pirate said I’m really getting the sense a melodic line on top would polish this track off nicely.

Unlike Dan though rather then another synth I think a sweet yet soulful female vocal with some conscious style lyrics would be killer on this.

Might be worth putting this track up in the collaboration section of the community to see if some one would be up for it.

Other then that would be interested to hear some more variation or mashup of the beat (but that could well be what you have planned for after the pressure drop and probably the place for it as you don’t want to be too frantic in the first buildup!)…re post when you’ve fleshed out the second half, I’m interested to hear where you bring this!

2 Likes

I like the spaciousness but also some more weight on the bass would sound good to me. The melodies are nice and simple yet effective. A choir or a chopped up female vocal would sit nice on this. Great work!

1 Like

How you getting on with this one @Huell_DNB? I’d love to hear where you get to with it!

Sorry I totally misread this at first about the melody/sweeps! I have one in there at the moment and not quite sure it would fit adding more without changing the impact of the other. Could do that for the second drop though! I do think some more switchups every 16 bars would be nice, just not sure how to make them fit

Worked on a it a bit more:

Added second drop (mostly the same as first drop if not identical), added some new rides as a slight variation and a couple of other small changes. I tried to fit a few choir samples in and got really stuck, nothing really fitted I tried - was using Veela’s Siren pack. Kind of tempted to post in the collaboration section but really not sure how it would fit with the vocal sample pre-drop

1 Like

It’s quite an earworm this one @Huell_DNB! Don’t suppose you have the original to share (think the old link has been removed) so I can compare the two again? My feebback around melody was more to do with the idea of having a high-end synth melody come in after the final drop. I know you’ve got something there already, but I’m imagining something like the synth on Jamie XX’s Gosh could be really cool. Other than that though, I think it’s a really great track and has a really great vibe to it.

Thank you, I’ve put the original link back in the main post. I think that could be pretty cool, I love Gosh! I’ll give it a go thanks :slight_smile:

Also didn’t even notice I’d muted the vox sample in the new link I posted,

Fixed version link here: https://soundcloud.com/huell_dnb/dreamers-7/s-5cU9MEWee56

1 Like

Sounding really nice! Can hear it starting to come together - enjoyed that vox sample too. Let me know how you get on with that Gosh-esque melody. It might not be right but I definitely feel like it could really elevate the track. interested to hear how you get on with it!