community.pirate.com

**COMPETITION CLOSED** Plastician Sample Pack Challenge - Pioneer controller and £250 studio credit for the winner

@artyfact

Nice! I love how its reversed in the beginning and reverberated out to make it feel kinda dark, good idea! The use of what sounds like the RC-20 plugin (could be wrong) is great as well as it adds character to the loop and adds to the ambience of the track as a whole, especially with the vinyl crackle loop!

When the beat kicks in, I like the use of sweeps/the rising notes to differentiate it and gives it the feeling that something is coming up. As a note, the long bass note that starts playing is quite loud and muds up the mix a bit, I would try to clean that up or lower it in volume a bit to allow the rest of the track to really come through. The drum sequence is nice, lots of little hats and percussive elements to add the feeling of movement throughout the section. Your kick seems like it has reverb on it in this section which is a bold move (although I could be wrong), this could be muddying up the mix, so if you are going to put reverb on it, you might want to tame it a little so its not bogging other elements down.

The pad sounds are nice and help to keep the atmosphere, I also like what sounds like a reversed string/melodic element in the background, it helps to keep the track consistent with how it started out.

Moving on to the breakdown, the use of a plucky sounds is nice and refreshing, keeping things moving and progressing. However, the bass sound/note you play as a build up (around 2:05 to 2:10) is a little loud/resonant so I would work on smoothening it out so it doesn’t overpower everything else.

Overall a nice entry, its very unique and I feel once a few bits are cleaned up it will be a strong contender, its also nice to see you have used a lot of the samples and implemented them well. These are just my opinions, but I hope it helps, best of luck! :smiley:

1 Like

Sounds yuge this - enjoyed it! Really made me want to be in a sweaty club somewhere - wonder when we’ll be able to do that again…

Great entry though. Not my usual style but love to see some diversity in the entries.

2 Likes

Was a lot of fun doing his one, I think I did pretty good ^^
I used the fall sample as the main melody and threw the bells over it (after basically physically abusing them to the right key xd)
I also used the vinyl crackle, the two snares, two hi-hats, and the “gamer perc” (fka. overused phone ringing sound ^^)
The mix could be cleaner and I didn’t go as crazy as artyfact for example but I hope yall enjoy it nonetheless, gl everyone

4 Likes

Nice man, love the overall crunch of the mix as well, not sure if it was intentional but it works nicely bringing it all together

2 Likes

Hey @DONKO,

Cheers for the feedback man, really appreciate that. The bit at the start was just the loop revered and with FabFilter Q3 over it and a touch of CLA02A compression on it. I haven’t actually tried RC-20 yet, supposed to be good right? Might grab a copy.

As for the kicks, there’s quite a lot going on, I’ve actually layered 3 tweaked versions of the cool kick sample, and the plugg 808 sample and applied various filters and eq to them, so each shines through a bit at different frequencies. Two of them do have a touch of Valhalla on them just to “make the dust jump” a little if you get what I mean. Might turn it down a tad as it is defo rattling a few other bits and pieces.

Loving your track by the way. Is great how it grabs your arm immediately and pulls you into the club. Don’t think there’s much I can add to that in the way of advice, it’s pretty solid throughout! Awesome work buddy!

2 Likes

Thanks mate, yeah went a bit overboard with the compression and some other filters in places. Going to dial it back slightly, but hopefully keep enough in the right parts to keep it all together. Glad you like it :+1:

This was my first sample challenge and it was really fun tbh.
Being not long enough in the ‘business’ I don’t really know that much stuff about producing, so I tried my best^^
I used the bell sample for the main melody and changed it a little from time to time. At some parts you can hear the Clarinet sample in the background.
I also used the short open hat a lot (mostly reversed), the vinyl crackle in the intro, 2 out of 3 808’s (carti & sub), the shake, lucky clap, at some points the gamer perc, the air hihat, the balmain snare, and the cool kick.
To sum it up, I think for my niveau I did a pretty good job (:
gl for everyone who’s competing

6 Likes

A sharpened up and slightly reworked version of my entry “Recycled”.

3 Likes

Gave it a go! Done quickly so rough around the edges and no doubt could be developed more, but loved the sample pack as it allowed me to have some fun experimenting with a quite a different and sound and style to normal. A good excuse / prompt to step outside the comfort zone. The track’s 100% made from samples in the pack, nothing else added - think I used almost all of them in some form or other.

Cheers for running the comp.

7 Likes

We’re calling this one the 360 no-scope botch job. Shit story but I’m currently isolating round my gf’s after a week in Turkey. I forgot my headphones and didn’t bring my speakers so I have got no reference for how this sounds other than my tinny laptop speakers. Sensational, not in it to win it with an experimental ambient bit so it’s all fun n games anyway :slight_smile: good luck everyone entering!

6 Likes

Hi all,

Went for a dubstep attempt!
Pretty happy with this! If you have the time, please give it a listen all the way through, it’s a bit of a riser, and let me know what you think x
The “siren” is made from the e-guitar clarinet loop, and the creepy riser is one of the fx along with the other obvious samples

Good luck everyone x

3 Likes

Yo Guys,

here’s my go, was in a bit of a rush so apologies its unmixed but it is what it is.

2 Likes

Couldn’t resist in making something bouncy. I think I used all of the drum sounds, used the vinyl crackle throughout because why not. and then used the ‘guitar’ and the bells sampled for some melody. There’s some of the fx sounds scattered across and then the fall sample for the intro, outro and a couple sprinkles. Then I remembered the 808 bass so slapped that in the switch up

Hope you like it and thanks!

7 Likes

Some wicked entries coming through!

2 Likes

Whats up everyone!

My entry for the sample challenge…

safe x

6 Likes

Hey guys here is my submission, thought it would be fun to make a song…worked with all drum samples (every drum sample you hear is from the pack pretty much) added vox and extrapolated main melody from the sample for the drop, tried to add in a lot of the other samples around the composition here and there… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

plz send any feedback and i’ll tighten it up if I get a chance in the morn!

This is super cool

Had a lot of fun working on this! Great challenge as always :smiley:
I used the sample ‘‘Fall’’ , a bit of the clarinet and some of the fx. I built almost the entire track around the melodies of ‘‘Fall’’.

3 Likes

Personally… i think you start off a bit less intense it will help… the whole thing is cool but you kind of give the game away a bit starting off like that. I dont mean that it should have some kind of cliche chill start then a drop/switch or something but you basically start at 100% and then the track has less places to go. For me even if it just started at where it is at 25 seconds… just with a little lead in.

1 Like