community.pirate.com

**COMPETITION CLOSED** Wize beat challenge - MCs & VOCALISTS - Pioneer DDJ + £250 studio credit up for grabs

Clever!, love your vocal on this and you’ve got some nice production techniques going on. The vocals sounds lush, crisp and soulful…that’s a great combination! Strong submission indeed!

Hey Imi - this is fantastic!

Love the vocal production here. Such a strong entry. Love your vocal layering and harmony. So sick!

Thanks! x

Ah thank you! :ok_hand:

1 Like

Thanks a lot! :raised_hands:

1 Like

If you ever need to collaborate be sure to check out the #collaborate channel! There’s loads of producers on there who could be a great fit for your style :slight_smile:

1 Like

beautiful vocal on that, love it!

Here is my entry:

Shoutout WIZE, this concept came to me as soon as I heard the beat. Dark Arts goes hard.

Saint Jerome

2 Likes

been having anxiety about whether to put what I’ve done in for this as only got full takes done at home but figured that i might aswell do a bit of an edit on one of the takes and added a gate some comp and some reverb tinkered with a de esser to try and dim any back ground noise thats on there. audio ended up sounding super processed but it is what it is while pirates only open till 11 its hard for me to get down.

2 Likes

We took a right when we should have looked left

And now we find ourselves repressed

But we can’t fight at all

We knew in life lthat we were never blessed

But we push along and all impressed

That we don’t care at all.

It’s representative not preventative

it’s a life lived

in strife with

no meaning in site and your finding

That your words aren’t so binding

but the guilt keeps reminding

you gave in to temptation

built up through frustration.

Take a minute cos your living in it

And you didnt wanna to inhibit

The corners of you mind

where the monsters reside

Or you will find yourself behind

You’ll never find yourself dreaming

to exhibit new infinites

To live through and break the limits

Cos what’s existence without resistance

Your only gonna find your strength through persistance.

Dark arts

We’ll Play smart

They’ll fall apart

The big spark

that we start

With Your heart

We’re all made of the same parts

It’s haunting and it’s daunting

If you can revent them from flaunting

That your life is always shortening.

Try to keep yourself from falling

In to old routines and calling

Out for help but always stalling

When making choices now could prevent your future self from balling

Crying out

A dying shout

It’s not about

Where your from

Or where you’ve gone

It’s all about

What you become

Cos when you think in an instant

You cannot keep yourself distant

Desire will make you persistent

Don’t break show your resistant to the

Dark arts

We’ll Play smart

They’ll fall apart

The big spark

that we start

With Your heart

We’re all made of the same parts

These are the lyrics

Great entry @atalenoire! You’ve got a natural flow that really shines here - and some great lyricism too. Don’t worry too much about production values - we’re just interested in the creativity and talent on display.

How long have you been writing for?

im in a band called a tale noire but we are like a concept metal band with every song being based around a story that i have kind of written and presenting through the tracks so very different to this but I’ve done odd bits of solo stuff over the years nothing quite as in depth as this though i was worldbeater in the discord server

Some great entries above! I tried to go for a Kelly Rowland/Usher/Ciara R&B vibe with the melody. Still needs some more towards the end of the song. This is a rough recording on my phone but I love this beat.

3 Likes

Have winners been announced?

I dont think so

Yea I don’t think they have yet!

It’s a good job the community is used to late announcements at this point lol. :joy::rofl:

1 Like

Winners announced tomorrow morning! Will make sure everyone gets a bit of credit for the wait.

We’re cooking up another challenge for you too - should be a fun one.

Hey everyone. We’re finally ready to announce our winners! Apologies for the delay on this one - it was a super tough decision but we’re all in agreement now…

Massive congratulations to @ImiSmith - you are our winner! We absolutely loved the direction you went with your take, and your vocals are just sublime. The melody grew on us more and more with each listen. Congrats - you take home £250 studio credit and a Pioneer DDJ-200.

And a big shout out to our two runner ups, @Nics - your entry was amazing and really showed off your skills as an MC - we’re looking forward to seeing what you do in the future. And finally, @Antonia_Carrena - despite recording your take on a phone, your vocals really shone through and we absolutely loved the melody you developed for it. You both win £100 studio credit to use at any of our locations.

And thanks to everyone else who entered. This was a really tough one to call and we went back and forth on the final list quite a lot. There was a great variety in the entries and because of that (and for making you wait on the final call), we’ll be giving you all a bit of credit to enjoy at any of our studios.

We’re launching another competition very shortly for our MCs and vocalists so keep an eye out for an announcement in the coming days! It should be a fun one for everyone.

6 Likes

congrats @ImiSmith!!! Been listening to your entry on repeat all weekend! Your harmonies are stun - can’t wait to see what you do next! :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes