community.pirate.com

Introduce yourself

Welcome to Community @Goldmaster! If you want to share any of your work via your profile, there’s a guide here to help you - you can share released music or even a few work in progress tracks. Would love to hear some of your stuff!

I studied digital media too. Feel free to ask me any questions about that over in the #off-topic section of the forum haha. It was quite a while ago now but I’m sure I can be of some assistance still.

You’ve inspired me to get out my old Moby record (Play) and give it a spin tonight - it’s been a while. Do you still listen to his new stuff? I see him releasing records every couple of years but can’t say I’ve checked them out. Let me know if there’s any gold I’m missing :upside_down_face:

Who am I?
Hey all, I’m James! Product manager at Pirate and occasional office DJ.

What do I create?
I love mixing and throwing a bit of time into producing as well. Think Dax J / I Hate Models… well I’m not quite to their standard yet but that’s the vibe I’m going for.

Which studio do I use?
Back in the day it was Greenwich. However, now we’ve got the sparkling new Dalston studios it’s always got to be there.

What do I listen to?
As much as I do like to go on about techno / EBM / all sorts of that Possession rave kinda music, I do love a bit of Blink 182, Oasis, and even classical at times.

5 Likes

Who am I?

I’m Michael AKA Emotivz.
DJ/Producer

What do I do?

I work in IT but outside of my normal 9-5 I DJ regularly at clubs & bars mainly in London and produce music. Since lockdown I’ve been spending more time working on music production.

What do I create?

I DJ and I create beats. Mainly hip hop/rap, Drill & R&B looking for artist to work with.

Which studio do I use?

At the moment I use Wembley Studios as it’s close to where I live. But spent a lot of time in Greenwich, Croydon & Nottinghill.

What do I listen to?

I listen to pretty much anything but mainly hip hop/Rap & R&B afrobeats.

2 Likes

Who am I?

I’m Kay and I make music under the name London Hatred (and I also have a darkwave duo in the works. Think Depeche Mode, Hurts and TR/ST vibes).

What do I create?

Electronic, minimal, glitchy or really punchy 4/4 stuff.

Which studio do I use?

Nearest is Wembley or Notting Hill, but excited to see what the deal is with this Camden on the list…

What do I listen to?

Everything but my top few are TR/ST, HEALTH, Pendulum, Depeche Mode and The 1975.

3 Likes

Hey @Emotivz, welcome to Community!

Seems like you’ve visited almost every London Pirate going! love that haha. If you make beats - we have a producer comp going right now over in our #challenges tab (winner gets £250 studio credit and a Pioneer DDJ). P-Money gave us a verse that you can put a beat under. Feel free to post work in progress beats etc for feedback, I’d love to hear some of your stuff.

3 Likes

Hey @londonhatred - welcome to Community! It’s great to have you here.

Feel free to post some of your work-in-progress tracks if you want some constructive feedback - it’s what we’re here for! Also, we’re running a comp right now over in our #challenges tab - London MC P-Money gave us a verse for you to put a beat under - feel free to have a crack at it! There’s £250 studio credit and a Pioneer DDJ up for grabs.

Also if you have some thoughts/suggestions be sure to head over to the Suggestions topic.

1 Like

Who am I?
Rowland aka artyfact. Am in IT by day, everything from helping build early content networks for Voda, EE and more - to working with the Mercedes F1 team last year to make their engine build process more efficient and win even more championships.
On the music front, my singing, guitaring and bassing is pretty basic. Got into Production last year and am absolutely loving it.

What do I create?
Mostly EDM, electronic dance, Drum & Bass, Trance and House. Am using Ableton 10 Suite and every useful plugin and VST I can get my hands on. I use a lot of midi lately, but also the odd sample here and there. Aiming to incorporate more live instruments into my tracks in the near future too, so look out for that.

Which studio do I use?
Wembley, it’s the nearest one to me. Studio room 12 - love it.

What do I listen to?
Anything and everything that I like the sound of. Used to be a rock kid: Nirvana, Metallica, Filter, NIN, Foos, Linkin Park etc, but lately listening to lots of deadmau5, Armin van Buuren, Knife Party, Enter Shikari, Delta heavy, Dimension, Sub Focus, Wilkinson etc.

3 Likes

Thanks! Just entered

Welcome @artyfact! I can relate to the rock kid discovers electronic music story arc :upside_down_face: I’m still partial to guitar music but grew out of a lot of the stuff I listened to in high school. I don’t hear many people mention Filter these days - ‘Title Of Record’ was all I played in my early teens!

Loving your entry to our P Money challenge by the way!

Ha nice one @Dan_Pirate. Mate, “Title Of Record” is one of my all time faves. Haven’t listened to it in yonks…might have to just put it on for old time’s sake. Did you ever hear Richard Partick’s one album sideband album Army Of Anyone? That one was incredible. Think I played it to death at the time.

Who am I?
Hey I’m Imi Smith and I’m an artist from South London. Currently studying Fine Art, whilst working on my music career. I sing/songwrite and have been working on producing my first EP recently.

What do I create?
Electronic/Acoustic/R&B/Indie/Experimental. So I guess very cross genre music.
When it comes to visual art I’m more of an abstract Painter - very up for creating cover art as well!
I’ve recently been working on an EP and am looking for assistance with mixing/mastering!

Which studio do I use?
Have just been to Earlsfield so far. But want to visit the Dalston location as easier for me to get to.

What do I listen to?
Listen to various genres, probably mainly electronic/indie/soul
There’s this artist Yaeji I’ve recently listened to would highly recommend!

7 Likes

Hey Imi, welcome to the community! :slight_smile:

Sounds like you’ve got a great mix of skills, are you doing your own cover art for your EP?

I’m sure you’ll be able to find someone on here who can assist with mixing and mastering, I’d suggest sticking a post in the collaborate section of the forum and seeing what comes up.

There’s also a few competitions running at the moment for producers and vocalists where you can win £250 studio credit and a Pioneer DDJ - as you’re a producer and vocalist I’d be really interested to see what you did with either one of them!

Evening all, hope you’re well!

Who am I?

I’m Andrew. Originally from Middlesbrough, now in Leeds. I operate under the artist name Bishmanrock.

What do I create?

A mix, which hasn’t particularly helped get me any sort of following due to how much I move between genres. Right now my style is best described as slow dark/moody prog ballads, but I’ve since moved away from a full session musician set-up and I’m now starting to get quite synth heavy after grabbing the Arturia Collection and completely losing myself in it.

You can hear my current WIP album here to get an idea of styles: https://soundcloud.com/bishmanrock/sets/strangedays.

In the past I’ve been a vocalist for gigging thrash metal and powerviolence bands.

Which studio do I use?

Leeds! Thinking about moving back up North at some point though, so I’m trying to figure out how I can take the studio with me. I don’t tend to bump into others as I’m normally in my producer booth warbling some vocal lines out by myself (my last album had 20+ stems worth of aahs on one track alone, much to the horror of the mixing engineer, but it’s worth it for that ‘big’ feel).

What do I listen to?

Big Roger Waters fan. Pink Floud, Kate Bush, Thrice, Bowie, Linkin Park.

Why am I here?

My ears are always open to collaborations, or anything else really. I don’t have a goal with my music, other than to keep making good tunes. I’ve worked with full collaborations, plus working with people doing remixes of my tracks, to just lending expertise to one another. In my most recent collaboration someone took one of my tracks and made a lo-fi version of it. Not something I personally would’ve done, but that’s the great thing about working with others - getting to see viewpoints you wouldn’t normally by yourself. I’m not super social, and none of my friends are musicians, so I’ve been quite bad for working in isolation for far too long, looking to break that a little.

4 Likes

welcome

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

My name is Ant Foster AKA Uberkoolsound, I have been using the Birmingham facility regularly now and love the experience, I wished it was around sooner as it really fits in with my lifestyle. I produce mianly techno influenced music but I simply go with the flow, I love experimenting with all types of music as I am learing to Mix and Master tracks and so I would love for people to send me tracks to help my progression and who knows you may like the result and get a cheeky mix and ,master for free. I have been passionate about electronic music for over 20 years and have been djing since vinyl was the standard but now mix on a Traktor S8 as I love the hybrid production and dj style of mixing now (you can see my set-up and how I play on youtube)

I had a stint of Hosting my own club events for a number of years but gave this up when I became a father, I now work on my art and have been releasing tracks consitently on Spotify etc (which is a learning curve on itself)

Anyways… I am babbling so I will leave it there.

I am looking forward to see what this community brings to the table and hope I get the chance to work with other likeminded and passionate people as they are truly hard to find in my social circles.

Peace & Love

UKS

3 Likes

Welcome Andrew/Bishmanrock!

It’s great to have you here - hope you’re doing well! Also a fellow northerner here - love how you said “back up north” when moving from Leeds hahaha.

It’s great to hear your view on collaboration - this is just what this community is for! The unexpected, but that somehow works. I’m sure you’ll find many a great producer in our #collaborate channel.

Also if you do have a dapper hand at production and vocals, we have 2 comps running for each. Check then out in our #challenges channel

Let me know if you need help with anything and get stuck in! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey Ant, welcome to the forum!

It’s really kind of you to offer free mixing and mastering - I’m sure if you stick a post in the Collaborate section, there’ll be lots of producers keen to take you up on that.

I’d also love to check out some of your music or works in progress if you don’t mind sharing? The Feedback Room is also a great place to get a wider pool of criticism and meet some likeminded people!

Give me a shout if you need a hand with anything :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Eva,

Thanks for the reply.

I am looking forward to being part of the community.

2 Likes

Hello!

Who am I?
My name is Kai Barrett - currently living in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire. (South of Leeds, north of Sheffield for those that don’t know!) Originally from North London, producer/DJ. I am currently working at a local supermarket after finishing college earlier in the year - most of my time out of work is spent on music - whether that’s a trip to Pirate to practice mixing, working on tunes, or enjoying listening to music!

What do I create?
I’m mainly involved within the grime scene, I like to make instrumentals both for the DJs to play and MCs to spit over but instrumentals to just listen to as well! As well as that I’ve been making a lot more experimental stuff, even branching out into 160bpm/footwork-type music!

Which studio do I use?
Primarily the Leeds studio, as it’s the closest to me! When I’m back in London it varies on which is closest at the time - I’ve visited Greenwich, Hackney & Dalston so far and I’d expect to be visiting Tottenham too when I’m next down, which I’m looking forward to a lot!

What do I listen to?
Mainly grime, particularly the instrumental side - and a lot of old sets from old crews back in the day (Essentials, Grimesville, SLK, East Connection are some of my favourites).

I particularly enjoy the more “experimental” music made by people who branched out from the grime scene, in particular Murlo, Proc Fiskal & Darq E Freaker. As well as the sounds of people like Swindle, Silkie, Heny G etc. going into the “purple” side of dubstep.

Moving away from the 140bpm mark, I’m a huge fan of 80s/90s rnb/funk music (the rarer the better) and the new jack swing era (something that has been influencing quite a few of my productions recently)!

Looking forward to connect with everyone here!

4 Likes

Hey Kai - welcome to Community! Good to have you hear.

There’s a lot of MC’s on here who I’m sure are up for working on something with you - you can check our our Artists Directory, our #collaborate channel, or head over to our Wize beat challenge over in #challenges to browse some MCs.

We’ve got a tonne more beat challenges on the way - so keep an eye out for them coming soon!

You’re in for a treat with out Tottenham studios they’re sick. Hopefully you’ll be able to get in there soon!

iI there’s anything you need/I can help with let us know. If you wanna post some of your tracks you can do that over on the #feedback-room, would love to hear some of your stuff!

1 Like