community.pirate.com

Introduce yourself

I’ll start!

Who am I?

I’m Dan and I look after content at Pirate. You might recognise me from such films as… the welcome video ;). I’m a moderator on here and will be pretty active in most threads.

What do I create?

My day job is working at Pirate (obviously) but I also dabble in music. You can check out some of my stuff on my profile - I’ve included a few work in progress tracks too. I’ve got a jazzmaster at home (which is the second love of my life). So, that instrument pretty much informs most of what I write and record.

Which studio do I use?

I used to use Greenwich but now we have a Dalston studio so I use that. The Hackney studios are also below our London office so I’ve been known to record a vocal take or two during my lunch break.

What do I listen to?

Genuinely pretty much anything and everything. I certainly lean more towards shimmery, shoegaze-y music, but if I’m in the right mood I’ll throw on some ambient or classical or whatever else. I also have a real thing for 90s hip-hop.

You next… Feel free to use the format I have or just go your own way (I won’t judge).

21 Likes

Hey everyone! Thought I’d join in on the fun

Who am I?

I’m Cal - Community Executive at Pirate and I deal with all things artists and community. I’ll be hopping in here with some useful info, some feedback and some discussion points.

What do I create?

My day job is working at Pirate (obviously) and I also create films/visuals for club nights. Other hobbies include visiting the sea to stare at it for 6 hours. Garageband is my DAW of choice - I’m a beginner and dip in and out when I see fit.

Which studio do I use?

Dalston! Finally!

What do I listen to?

I hate when people say “a bit of everything” but … a bit of everything. Anything from Hannah Montana to My Chemical Romance.

Current repeat roster includes:

6 Likes

Who am I?

I’m Eva and I’m a Community Exec at Pirate where I focus on all things blog (which I’ll be plugging RELENTLESSLY).

What do I create?

My life ambition is to write and star in ‘Free Britney: The Musical’.

Which studio do I use?

The swanky new Dalston ones!

What do I listen to?

Currently, exclusively Britney Spears. Free Britney!!

7 Likes

Who am I?
I’m Gareth, Studio Site technician for Pirate studios on Moyle Road in Dublin

What do I do?

When in Pirate I spend most of my time making sure the equipment in the band, production and DJ rooms is in tip top condition. Outside of the studio?..I spend most of my time in studios! producing and making music of all different genres.

Which studio do I use?

The Good Ship Dublin on Moyle Road

What do I listen to?

Mostly what I’m working on!..or what I hear in Pirate! Very little time to listen to anything else now as I’m busy making it…however I’d consider myself to have a pretty eclectic taste in music that spans multiple genres, if it’s good I’ll keep listening, if it’s not I’ll move on.

5 Likes

Hey there guys!!!

Who am I?

I’m Mike, Birmingham Site Technician, working to keep all the equipment and rooms up and running, doing gear repairs, site maintenance etc.

What do I create?

I’m a drum tutor outside of Pirate, and also a session drummer and Guitar/Drum tech. I spend most of my time teaching or playing for local artists.
Some of the local artists I have the pleasure of working with are:

Mezzotonic
Khaliq
Synikall
Sophia Lee Soul

I also enjoy street and gig photography.

Which studio do I use?

I use the Birmingham studio mostly, but would love to visit some of the others!

What do I listen to?
I’m mostly into funk, jazz, and soul, but I’ll listen to pretty much anything.
I’m also a huge country fan!

7 Likes

Hey all!

Who am I?
My names Faisal, I’m a product designer at Pirate as well as a producer, artist and a dabbler in DJ’ing

What do I create?
Aside from spending my days making the sickest experiences at Pirate, I love writing all sorts of electronic music from dance to cinematic (and usually a combination of both). I also place a heavy focus on visuals for music creating everything from cover art to 3D animations and video

Which studio do I use?
You can usually find me at the Wembley site, sometimes in Notting Hill

What do I listen to?

Like most people here im guessing I take in a wide array of tunes, I can genuinely go from Kahn to Martin Garrix to Behemoth. I love all sorts, but the top 3 artists that influence me are Skrillex, The 1975 and Porter Robinson (Even though I don’t actually sound anything like them, their approaches changed everything for me) TLDR: whatevs

5 Likes

Who am I?
I’m Alex, the resident site tech in the Leicester studios

What do I do?

When in Pirate, i look after all of the equipment in and around the studio, making sure it’s top notch and ready to rock. outside of the studio i spent most of my free time gaming or experimenting with new ways to make odd sounds for my music production. There will most likely be a link somewhere on my profile :slight_smile:

Which studio do I use?

Unsurprisingly i use the Leicester studios.

What do I listen to?

Being a producer, i can hazard a guess that i mostly listen to whatever I’m working on; over and over and over and over again… fun. other than melting my mind listening to 4 chords on repeat, i listen to music from Deathcore all the way to Reggae and Ska.

7 Likes

Hey everyone!

Who am I?

I’m Zia (or Zi as most of my friends know me) - one of many fine site technicians operating across London, keeping our equipment in good nick and our rooms looking fresh. I’m primarily looking after Wembley and Hackney Wick now, but I might be a familiar face to some of our Notting Hill users.

What do I create?

Other than playing guitar (recently an 8-string) and playing games I work on a lot of sound design in my spare time; designing virtual amps, synth patches, experimenting with feedback and noise, and twisting the most jarring sounds I can make or find into semi-bearable, ear grating beats. I’ll also never turn down a session on some CDJs!

Which studio do I use?

Depends on where I am and if I have my USB on me! Wembley, Notting Hill, Earlsfield (shoutout to the BIMM rooms!) - admittedly a big fan of the Dalston build. Also Leicester when I’m back at home.

What do I listen to?

Anything and everything, mostly alternative genres of hip-hop but also jazz, bassline, hardcore punk and beyond! The weirder, noisier and more abrasive the better!

5 Likes

Who am I?
Hi I’m Knock Down Ginger, a regular user of Pirate.

What do I do?
Right now, I am in the process of setting up my own record label in the heart of London, starting people off and giving them what they actually deserve, this project has been in the works for a few years now, and thanks to pirate, its only just started. I have been DJing for around 3ish years now and recently performed at the Royal Albert Hall for a short set just before the first lockdown.

Which studio do I use?
To be honest, I use most of the studios in London, I started out at Notting Hill, but have recently moved into the Wembley studio and planning on going over to Hackney very soon!

What do I listen to?

Being a producer and DJ, I decide to listen to anything. When I am on Spotify I just shuffle and listen to what comes on. My preferred genre of music to listen to is either, UK Rap, UK Garage or anything chill.
But in reality, I am very open to all music genres.

5 Likes

Welcome @KnockDownGinger! Stoked to have you on board. Keen to hear how you get on setting up that record label - would love to potentially interview you about if for our blog. It’s a very interesting time to take on a project like that!

Shout if you have any questions about Community. If you’re unsure where to go next, there’s a few tracks already published to The Feedback Room if you want to have a listen - feel free to post any WIP tracks you have, a few of us at Pirate will be around to have a listen and offer feedback etc. Enjoy!

1 Like

Cheers @Dan_Pirate, would be really happy to do an interview in the future, really looking forward to see where this Community goes!

1 Like

Who am I?

I’m Danny, and I produce under the alias HEXORCIZT. I’m a uni student in my 2nd year of a Music Production degree!

What do I create?

As a producer I tend to lean towards heavy dubstep, tearout and riddim, very messy and compressed sound design with massive clipped drums. But I do also like to make DnB and a bit of 128 as well :blush:

Which studio do I use?

Unfortunately there ain’t a studio anywhere near my uni (yet!), but when I’m at home the Croydon studio is just a short bike ride away! Like to think I got lucky with that one.

What do I listen to?

Basically the very same as I produce - super-heavy, over-the-top dubstep by artists like Marauda, NIMDA and Oddprophet.

3 Likes

Who am I?

I’m Trikz. A DJ from London.

What do I create?

Mixes mainly. I’m edging towards the producer side but I’m a little overwhelmed to start it all.

Which studio do I use?

I use the new Dalston studios!

What do I listen to?

Loads of music! House, Tech House, Deep house, Deep Tech, Drum and Bass, Dubstep, Baseline, Techno, Psi-trance and a few other genres!

Thanks Pirate for providing such a sick spot!!

3 Likes

Welcome @hexorciztmusic! How are you finding your degree so far? Looking forward to hearing what you’re working on.

Plastician will be around these parts from time to time by the way!

Hey @Trikz - welcome to Community.

I use the Dalston Studios too - might see you around!

Glad to hear you’re starting your journey with production. It can be very daunting but you’ll start to get your head around it the more you play around with it. What DAW are you using?

Feel free to post any bits you’ve been working on to The Feedback Room. It’s a great place for people of all levels to jump in and receive some constructive feedback on their works in progress.

Thanks @Dan_Pirate,

I think the thing that worries me the most is just giving music depth. Finding a melody, then sounds to complement the melody and add atmosphere to it. I’ll most likely use Ableton as that is the one I have played around with previous.

I’ll for sure post for some feedback once I have something I’m mildly happy with!

Arrangement is definitely a tricky thing to master at first @Trikz. It helps to think of songs as buildings (at least for me), you’ve got your foundation (percussion, bass, or perhaps a melody you want to bring to life), and then you can start building more and more layers from there. It’s often surprising where a song ends up going. Also, listening to other producers and how they do things can often help too.

I know @faisal_pirate knows his way around Ableton, and I’m sure @Pirate_Gareth will be a fountain of knowledge. I’ve created a new thread in the Production & Recording category for any new producers to ask questions. It’s a safe space so don’t worry if you think a question is stupid - I didn’t have a clue when first starting out (and still got a lot to learn).

1 Like

@hexorciztmusic forgot to mention, we’ve also got a P Money remix challenge live over here.

Reckon you could do something pretty great with it!

Who am I?
Hiya, I’m Amber! Customer Experience or CX Manager here at Pirate. Long story short, my job is to make Pirate the best it can be for everyone who uses it. Other adjectives to describe me: Kiwi, writer, beer nerd…

What do I create?
I am a podcast addict, that very much is my speciality… however, I am keen to learn as much as possible about production.

Which studio do I use?
At time of writing, I am living in Europe but I cannot wait(!!!) to get back to London and try the new London studios.

What do I listen to?
Indie/alternative, 90’s hip hop, huge jazz/funk fan — love Victor Wooten, Parliament, The Comet is Coming, Kamasi Washington, Hypnotic Brass Ensemble. That said, I can’t resist cheesy pop and Nine Inch Nails will always be my fave band :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

@Trikz just jumping in is the biggest leap.

Songs never get made if you sit on the sidelines of them and don’t take a risk.

Remember whatever you do can be changed later so for instance you might start off with a simple enough Beat that you think is crap but you have a good melody.

As you progress with the other elements bass, synth pads, top line melodies you suddenly start hearing the beat in your head that would work perfectly, you change it and that’s what makes the track!

For mixing tips I’ve created a thread here …some of it might sound like klingon if you’re just starting off but have a read through as there will be things you come back to as you advance that you’ll say to yourself “oh I know how to do that now”…I’ll also be doing a thread on starting a new project with tips on how to get things sounding great from the start so keep an eye on the production category.

Best of luck with your creations and don’t forget to post them to feedback as you progress, especially if you hit a wall there may be a producer in here who can help you climb over it…or walk around it whichever is easier :wink:

3 Likes