community.pirate.com

**COMPETITION CLOSED** P Money remix challenge - PRODUCERS - Pioneer DDJ + £250 studio credit up for grabs

Welcome to our first ever remix challenge. The rules are simple, download the great and powerful P Money’s vocal stem from here and turn it into something new. Drop a beat behind it, cut it up and transform it, reverse it, flip it - the rules are there are no rules (even if grime isn’t your usual genre - feel free to take the track in a completely different direction).

Well… there’a a couple of rules:

• Publish your work in progress tracks in this thread and to the work in progress section of your profile.
  • Myself and other Pirates will be jumping in and giving you some (hopefully) constructive feedback. Simply upload your WIP to SoundCloud and paste a link in your post in this thread.
  • To enter the comp, you must have completed your profile (this helps us with the selection process and gives you a better chance of winning if we know a bit more about you). Head here for some guidance on how to get your profile all setup.
  • Final entries should be uploaded to SoundCloud and published to this thread.
  • Winner receives a Pioneer DDJ + £250 credit. Two runners up will also receive £100 studio credit.
  • Entries close Oct 31!
  • P Money will be listening to the shortlist finalists and helping us select our winners and runners ups

Boring bit: This vocal stem is for competition purposes only, and is not meant for distribution/resale/promotion without artist permission.

3 Likes

Even though this probably won’t be open to Pirate Employees I’m still going to give a stab at a remix!

2 Likes

That acapella is dope I might have to throw my hat in the ring for this one :dart:

2 Likes

Hey everyone, here’s my entry for the P Money Remix competition. Had a ton of fun writing this one, any thoughts or questions hit me! Looking forward to hearing everyone else’s entries :boom:

8 Likes

Here’s my entry for the P Money Remix competition. Tried to be fairly subtle with it - less is often more on tracks like this. Constructive feedback welcomed.

7 Likes

Hey @artyfact a really interesting genre-bending take on the remix! I like that parts where you cut part of the phrase and wash it out with reverb and delay, I think that approach is the strongest for getting it to work with your instrumental.

One suggestion I have is maybe try finding a line or two in the acapella that you really like, and cutting that up and re-pitching / washing out with some fx and pacing the phrasing out so it fits better. I don’t think you need to use the whole vocal performance, like you said for the kinda genre you’re going for often just using a statement that repeats now and then is better to accent the melodic journey the instrumental is trying to take the listener on :boom:

1 Like

Love this tune, thought I’d give it a drill look but kinda different :smile: hope you like it!

12 Likes

woi @TripleXL, interesting direction flips the vibe and def feels 2020 :boom:

1 Like

Enjoyed your take on this @artyfact - definitely gives it quite a sustained ominous vibe throughout. I kept waiting for a big snare to come in on the drop - kind of like that it’s teased but never materialises (like a lot of good tracks, it leaves you wanting more!) I think playing around with the vocals (either pitching up or messing around with them for atmospherics) could add a little more variation in parts. But overall, I think you’ve nailed the vibe you were going for and it’s sounding pretty massive on my speakers right now!

1 Like

@TripleXL this is hard! On paper I didn’t think a drill vibe would work for this tune, but you’ve proved me wrong. Changes the mood from something quite angry to something pretty blissed out. Great work!

1 Like

@TripleXL This is fire :cold_sweat::fire:

1 Like

Awesome work @faisal_pirate, loving the choppy guitary thing going on - it really fits and gives it an original vibe. Also, some really nice little subtle details thrown in there - love it. Only bit I can add I think, feels like about 2:11 (just after the bit that goes lighter on the drums), feels like it needs a something little extra to come in here to fill it out before the end of the song.

2 Likes

Nice work @TripleXL. What these guys said ^^. Also, maybe one thing you can do to try and fill out the sound a bit (without overdoing it and going too muddy) - I can hear maybe a far away pad or atmospheric little thing going on in the background could really work here and make if feel more “expensive” and complete. It’ll be a tricky balance and might not even work at all, but worth giving it a shot I reckon. Keep up the good work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, have taken on some of the suggestions from above and given my remix a bit more love. Look forward to hearing what you think. Tried to keep it all fairly subtle, didn’t want to overdo it and totally go crazy, I think that would probably do more harm than good. This way, the vocals still shine, but there’s a few more little bits and pieces going on to keep it interesting and evolving throughout the track. Enjoy.

4 Likes

Liking this a lot @artyfact. Have you updated the existing link with the new track? I didn’t know you could do that on SoundCloud! Do you have the original track to hand still? Would love to compare them both side by side.

Cheers @Dan_Pirate. Yeah I updated the existing track, you can do that with a pro subscription on Soundcloud - comes in handy a lot I find. I’ll get the other version posted up separately in a little while, then you can A/B them. Thanks.

1 Like

Ok, V1 & V2 are now split out :wink:

1 Like

Still a WIP this just started it today, feedback appreciated

7 Likes

This goes hard @KnockDownGinger! Really loving the variation of the entries so far. Each one takes things in a completely different direction. Haven’t had a chance to listen on my monitors yet but will do tomorrow and give a bit more feedback. Really impressed though!

1 Like

Loving some of the subtle changes @artyfact - I pick up more with each listen. There’s a lot going on in parts but it never overpowers the vocal. Really like the “mission” section halfway through the new edit - feels like it provides a nice bit of respite and really accentuates the next section of bars from P Money.

Nice work!