community.pirate.com

Introduce yourself

@hexorciztmusic forgot to mention, we’ve also got a P Money remix challenge live over here.

Reckon you could do something pretty great with it!

Who am I?
Hiya, I’m Amber! Customer Experience or CX Manager here at Pirate. Long story short, my job is to make Pirate the best it can be for everyone who uses it. Other adjectives to describe me: Kiwi, writer, beer nerd…

What do I create?
I am a podcast addict, that very much is my speciality… however, I am keen to learn as much as possible about production.

Which studio do I use?
At time of writing, I am living in Europe but I cannot wait(!!!) to get back to London and try the new London studios.

What do I listen to?
Indie/alternative, 90’s hip hop, huge jazz/funk fan — love Victor Wooten, Parliament, The Comet is Coming, Kamasi Washington, Hypnotic Brass Ensemble. That said, I can’t resist cheesy pop and Nine Inch Nails will always be my fave band :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

@Trikz just jumping in is the biggest leap.

Songs never get made if you sit on the sidelines of them and don’t take a risk.

Remember whatever you do can be changed later so for instance you might start off with a simple enough Beat that you think is crap but you have a good melody.

As you progress with the other elements bass, synth pads, top line melodies you suddenly start hearing the beat in your head that would work perfectly, you change it and that’s what makes the track!

For mixing tips I’ve created a thread here …some of it might sound like klingon if you’re just starting off but have a read through as there will be things you come back to as you advance that you’ll say to yourself “oh I know how to do that now”…I’ll also be doing a thread on starting a new project with tips on how to get things sounding great from the start so keep an eye on the production category.

Best of luck with your creations and don’t forget to post them to feedback as you progress, especially if you hit a wall there may be a producer in here who can help you climb over it…or walk around it whichever is easier :wink:

3 Likes

Who am I?

I’m the third Dan from Pirate! I’m a music teacher, drummer and general jack-of-all-trades nuisance.

What do I create?

Besides Pirate and teaching, I’m interested in horrible nonsense sounds and rhythms. I’ve recorded various progressive-rock albums and EPs from various ends of the noodly spectrum, but accidentally heard Scott Walker and Merzbow a few years ago and kept getting weirder from there. I recently bought a 9 string guitar to double down on the drone angle, but I’ve not quite managed to get a handle on it yet…!

Which studio do I use?

When I’m not at Pirate Studios Nottingham on Ilkeston Road, I’m at my own private studio a few miles down the road. I opened the doors in January 2020 and still haven’t come up with a name yet. Maybe one day!

What do I listen to?

Pinky plonk weirdness. Scott Walker, David Sylvian, Frank Zappa, King Crimson, Tom Waits, Webern, Ron Jarzombek, Ligeti.

4 Likes

Hey nice to meet everyone.

Who am I?

My name is Nics (ne-ee-ks). I’m a rapper (mainly), producer and DJ from North London. I also mix and master my own tracks as well as for others.

What do I create?

I don’t have a specific genre I’d say as I tend to dip into a few genres like Hip Hop, Rap, Grime but regardless of what genre I decide to make, it always has Grime elements from the terminology used to the flows and pattern choices. The best example of my sound, out of the tracks I’ve released so far, would be “Camping”

Which studio do I use?

I use the Notting Hill, London studios often but as of recently, I’ve been at the Dalston, London one more due to how close. Seeing there is one in Tottenham opening soon, that is where I will mainly be as that is my area.

What do I listen to?

A lot of UK Hip Hop & Grime but also loads of R&B too. I tend to listen to Soulection Radio a lot as well (best radio ever on Apple Music and Soundcloud, should check it out if you get the chance)

4 Likes

Welcome to Community @Nics - I had a quick listen to some of the music on your profile and really enjoyed it. Not long until we’re open in Tottenham now - would be interested to hear what you think of the site once you’ve checked it out.

In case you missed it, we’ve got a song challenge live in the challenges category. WIZE has given us two beats for MCs and vocalists to jump on - winner receives a Pioneer DDJ and £250 worth of studio credit. I reckon you’d be in with a shot!

1 Like

G`day anyone

Who am I?

I’m Goldmaster - Music producer and dj who started back in 2016 with drum machine and laptop before getting a keyboard. I started to learn djing in 2017 because of me going to a 90s night a heard there was a djing society at the other uni. I have djed before in Brisbane during 6 mouth study period where I helped fellow DJ Marc Hackenburg (who runs Sample space and subrosa) get ready Yourshot 2019 with posters, feedback and testing.

What do I create?

Im a student studying digital media at Hallam and create house techno, bit of trance and outrun styled music.

Which studio do I use?

Sheffield. Doh

What do I listen to?
Started with Fatboy Slim in the late 2000s when I was young before listening to chem bros because of the 2012 Olympics and moving onto moby, daft punk and deadmau5. Thanks to Marc being listening to Above&Beyond.

4 Likes

Welcome to Community @Goldmaster! If you want to share any of your work via your profile, there’s a guide here to help you - you can share released music or even a few work in progress tracks. Would love to hear some of your stuff!

I studied digital media too. Feel free to ask me any questions about that over in the #off-topic section of the forum haha. It was quite a while ago now but I’m sure I can be of some assistance still.

You’ve inspired me to get out my old Moby record (Play) and give it a spin tonight - it’s been a while. Do you still listen to his new stuff? I see him releasing records every couple of years but can’t say I’ve checked them out. Let me know if there’s any gold I’m missing :upside_down_face:

Who am I?
Hey all, I’m James! Product manager at Pirate and occasional office DJ.

What do I create?
I love mixing and throwing a bit of time into producing as well. Think Dax J / I Hate Models… well I’m not quite to their standard yet but that’s the vibe I’m going for.

Which studio do I use?
Back in the day it was Greenwich. However, now we’ve got the sparkling new Dalston studios it’s always got to be there.

What do I listen to?
As much as I do like to go on about techno / EBM / all sorts of that Possession rave kinda music, I do love a bit of Blink 182, Oasis, and even classical at times.

5 Likes

Who am I?

I’m Michael AKA Emotivz.
DJ/Producer

What do I do?

I work in IT but outside of my normal 9-5 I DJ regularly at clubs & bars mainly in London and produce music. Since lockdown I’ve been spending more time working on music production.

What do I create?

I DJ and I create beats. Mainly hip hop/rap, Drill & R&B looking for artist to work with.

Which studio do I use?

At the moment I use Wembley Studios as it’s close to where I live. But spent a lot of time in Greenwich, Croydon & Nottinghill.

What do I listen to?

I listen to pretty much anything but mainly hip hop/Rap & R&B afrobeats.

2 Likes

Who am I?

I’m Kay and I make music under the name London Hatred (and I also have a darkwave duo in the works. Think Depeche Mode, Hurts and TR/ST vibes).

What do I create?

Electronic, minimal, glitchy or really punchy 4/4 stuff.

Which studio do I use?

Nearest is Wembley or Notting Hill, but excited to see what the deal is with this Camden on the list…

What do I listen to?

Everything but my top few are TR/ST, HEALTH, Pendulum, Depeche Mode and The 1975.

3 Likes

Hey @Emotivz, welcome to Community!

Seems like you’ve visited almost every London Pirate going! love that haha. If you make beats - we have a producer comp going right now over in our #challenges tab (winner gets £250 studio credit and a Pioneer DDJ). P-Money gave us a verse that you can put a beat under. Feel free to post work in progress beats etc for feedback, I’d love to hear some of your stuff.

3 Likes

Hey @londonhatred - welcome to Community! It’s great to have you here.

Feel free to post some of your work-in-progress tracks if you want some constructive feedback - it’s what we’re here for! Also, we’re running a comp right now over in our #challenges tab - London MC P-Money gave us a verse for you to put a beat under - feel free to have a crack at it! There’s £250 studio credit and a Pioneer DDJ up for grabs.

Also if you have some thoughts/suggestions be sure to head over to the Suggestions topic.

1 Like

Who am I?
Rowland aka artyfact. Am in IT by day, everything from helping build early content networks for Voda, EE and more - to working with the Mercedes F1 team last year to make their engine build process more efficient and win even more championships.
On the music front, my singing, guitaring and bassing is pretty basic. Got into Production last year and am absolutely loving it.

What do I create?
Mostly EDM, electronic dance, Drum & Bass, Trance and House. Am using Ableton 10 Suite and every useful plugin and VST I can get my hands on. I use a lot of midi lately, but also the odd sample here and there. Aiming to incorporate more live instruments into my tracks in the near future too, so look out for that.

Which studio do I use?
Wembley, it’s the nearest one to me. Studio room 12 - love it.

What do I listen to?
Anything and everything that I like the sound of. Used to be a rock kid: Nirvana, Metallica, Filter, NIN, Foos, Linkin Park etc, but lately listening to lots of deadmau5, Armin van Buuren, Knife Party, Enter Shikari, Delta heavy, Dimension, Sub Focus, Wilkinson etc.

3 Likes

Thanks! Just entered

Welcome @artyfact! I can relate to the rock kid discovers electronic music story arc :upside_down_face: I’m still partial to guitar music but grew out of a lot of the stuff I listened to in high school. I don’t hear many people mention Filter these days - ‘Title Of Record’ was all I played in my early teens!

Loving your entry to our P Money challenge by the way!

Ha nice one @Dan_Pirate. Mate, “Title Of Record” is one of my all time faves. Haven’t listened to it in yonks…might have to just put it on for old time’s sake. Did you ever hear Richard Partick’s one album sideband album Army Of Anyone? That one was incredible. Think I played it to death at the time.

Who am I?
Hey I’m Imi Smith and I’m an artist from South London. Currently studying Fine Art, whilst working on my music career. I sing/songwrite and have been working on producing my first EP recently.

What do I create?
Electronic/Acoustic/R&B/Indie/Experimental. So I guess very cross genre music.
When it comes to visual art I’m more of an abstract Painter - very up for creating cover art as well!
I’ve recently been working on an EP and am looking for assistance with mixing/mastering!

Which studio do I use?
Have just been to Earlsfield so far. But want to visit the Dalston location as easier for me to get to.

What do I listen to?
Listen to various genres, probably mainly electronic/indie/soul
There’s this artist Yaeji I’ve recently listened to would highly recommend!

7 Likes

Hey Imi, welcome to the community! :slight_smile:

Sounds like you’ve got a great mix of skills, are you doing your own cover art for your EP?

I’m sure you’ll be able to find someone on here who can assist with mixing and mastering, I’d suggest sticking a post in the collaborate section of the forum and seeing what comes up.

There’s also a few competitions running at the moment for producers and vocalists where you can win £250 studio credit and a Pioneer DDJ - as you’re a producer and vocalist I’d be really interested to see what you did with either one of them!

Evening all, hope you’re well!

Who am I?

I’m Andrew. Originally from Middlesbrough, now in Leeds. I operate under the artist name Bishmanrock.

What do I create?

A mix, which hasn’t particularly helped get me any sort of following due to how much I move between genres. Right now my style is best described as slow dark/moody prog ballads, but I’ve since moved away from a full session musician set-up and I’m now starting to get quite synth heavy after grabbing the Arturia Collection and completely losing myself in it.

You can hear my current WIP album here to get an idea of styles: https://soundcloud.com/bishmanrock/sets/strangedays.

In the past I’ve been a vocalist for gigging thrash metal and powerviolence bands.

Which studio do I use?

Leeds! Thinking about moving back up North at some point though, so I’m trying to figure out how I can take the studio with me. I don’t tend to bump into others as I’m normally in my producer booth warbling some vocal lines out by myself (my last album had 20+ stems worth of aahs on one track alone, much to the horror of the mixing engineer, but it’s worth it for that ‘big’ feel).

What do I listen to?

Big Roger Waters fan. Pink Floud, Kate Bush, Thrice, Bowie, Linkin Park.

Why am I here?

My ears are always open to collaborations, or anything else really. I don’t have a goal with my music, other than to keep making good tunes. I’ve worked with full collaborations, plus working with people doing remixes of my tracks, to just lending expertise to one another. In my most recent collaboration someone took one of my tracks and made a lo-fi version of it. Not something I personally would’ve done, but that’s the great thing about working with others - getting to see viewpoints you wouldn’t normally by yourself. I’m not super social, and none of my friends are musicians, so I’ve been quite bad for working in isolation for far too long, looking to break that a little.

4 Likes